WHAT DOES AN OSTEOPATHIC CONSULTATION AND TREATMENT CONSIST OF FOR A NEW PATIENT?
An osteopath is a critical thinker who searches, not just in the place that you present with pain or discomfort, but throughout connected systems to find the origin or this pain. Many times this origin is found in another area of the body and sometimes it can be difficult to ascertain the origin at all.
This work is an extensive process, usually begining with a thorough case history of previous injuries or pain you may have had.
I will enquire about your medical history related to investigative or operative procedures, any medications or diagnoses that may be relevant to understanding the nature of your problem.
I will also consider your working, social, personal, dietary and lifestyle factors. With your consent, I will observe any changes in your body by studying your posture, its symmetry, weight bearing, compensatory patterns, skin colour changes, temperature, sweating, swelling, rashes, scars, etc.
I will continue to carry out osteopathic testing of the whole spinal curve congruency and its relation to your pelvis and limbs.
An important observation is also the rhythm and harmony of your movements, which can many times offer more information than we can verbalize.
There will be active and passive testing to explore the range of movement you have, and which areas are affected, in order to understand any limitations, pain or discomfort you may be experiencing.
If necessary, I will conduct specific clinical tests:
- Neurological testing: Checking reflexes, strength in your muscles and sensation on your skin
- Cardiovascular testing: Checking your blood pressure and pulses in the neck, arms, legs and abdomen
- Respiratory testing: Checking the breathing and lungs for normal movement and sounds
- Visceral (organ) testing: Checking the liver, stomach, gall bladder, kidneys, appendix, intestines etc. through gentle touching with the hands to observe any changes.
- Orthopaedic testing of the musculoskeletal system: Checking the range of movement you have in the joints and how this may relate to your problem
This may be done in order to determine whether you need to be referred for further investigations like blood tests or other diagnostic investigations such as an MRI, X-ray before treatment can begin.
WHAT KIND OF TREATMENT CAN YOU EXPECT?
After testing and ruling out any need for a referral, you will be treated according to your needs. The focus will be on reducing the stress response and bringing your body to its optimal state, with the ultimate goal of returning you, unhindered, to your normal daily activities.
Each treatment plan is as unique as each patient. Here are some of the approaches that may be used during treatment:
- Myofascial technique (the fascia/connective tissue which surrounds muscles, tendons, ligaments, organs, bones)
- Muscular Energy Technique (MET)
- Strain Counter Strain (SCS)
- Cranial Work in the Osteopathic Field (COF)
- Visceral (organ) Techniques,
- High Velocity Low Amplitude Technique (HVLA)
- Articulation and Mobilisation of Joint Structures
- Lymphatic Manipulative Techniques
Please remember, throughout this process your body will be the ultimate guide to the measurement of success. I will be constantly gauging your level of comfort and adjust treatment accordingly.
HOW LONG DOES A TREATMENT TAKE?
For a new patient it takes around 1-1.5hrs. Returning patient, 45-55 minutes. Children over 8 years old will take approximately 1 hour.
ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS FROM THE TREATMENT?
Sometimes after treatment you may experience some soreness, tiredness, mood changes or even feel an increase in energy. This is a normal reaction and usually passes within a few days.
Of course if you are concerned by the side effects of your treatment, please contact me via email, text, or phone and I will respond as soon as possible.
INDIVIDUAL MANAGEMENT CARE PLAN
Your treatment will be followed by an individual management care plan tailored to suits your health goals.
This will include ways you can help yourself feel better by taking control of your own health. Some dietary advice may be recommended and I may also advise you to seek specialised therapy from other healthcare professionals that may compliment the osteopathic treatment.
While it is seldom possible to assign a strict timetable for healing the body, I will make you keenly aware of changes you may be experiencing as a result of treatment.
My intention is to assist you in helping your body find its way back to a healthy and happy state of being.
New patient: 1-1.5hrs
Returning patient: 45-55 minutes. For children over 8 years old it is approximately one hour.
All treatments: 900 SEK / treatment
Cancellation within 24hours of appointment will incur full cost of treatment.